Stepping Stones is looking for a qualified, committed and experienced candidate to fill the role of Training Manager for our volunteer English teaching programs. The candidate will report to the Training Director and work alongside other trainers and staff members connected to the relevant English teaching programs.
We have recently developed a bespoke SET curriculum for primary grades 1-5. As a result, the training we give to SET volunteers will have to be revamped; the Training Manager will be partly responsible for this work. On the same note, we have other English teaching programs in need of new materials, and we would like to use our new curriculum as the foundation for these. The Training Manager will be expected to help with the development of, for example, new grades for the syllabus, or a set of lesson plans for a particular English teaching program.
- Training volunteers in Stepping Stones’ English teaching programs;
- Implementing our new curriculum, primarily but not exclusively in terms of the SET program;
- Creating lesson plans and materials for other English teaching programs, based on our new curriculum;
- Helping further develop the current grades 1-5 syllabus;
- Organising and maintaining other teaching resources for the English teaching programs;
- Visiting schools and community centres, observing volunteers, and giving feedback;
- Conducting specific training workshops for volunteers when the opportunity arises;
- Sharing teaching tips and other best-practice advice in our volunteer communication feeds;
- Substituting for absent volunteers when necessary;
- Helping administer, gather, and analyse our impact via various Measurement and Evaluation processes.
- Educated to at least bachelor-degree level, and with a minimum English Language Teaching qualification of CELTA, TEFL or TESOL, or Teaching Chinese as a Second Language equivalent;
- At least three years’ relevant experience, including teaching English or Chinese as a Second Language, English teacher training and/or curriculum design;
- Interest in and experience of using technology for language teaching and professional development purposes;
- Advanced-level oral and written English communication skills. Chinese language skills would be a distinct advantage;
- Strong management and organisational abilities: good team player with ability to mentor and motivate staff, interns, volunteers and trainees;
- Strong interest in the development sector, and preferably some experience in education and/or with disadvantaged communities and/or with volunteers in China; and
- Excellent work ethic, with a positive and flexible attitude.
- To ensure the sustainability of the relevant projects, a long-term commitment is preferred;
- Note that some weekend work may be required, as some trainings will be scheduled then. We operate a flexible working schedule, where staff are encouraged to take time off to compensate for overtime worked.
The candidate should be available to start working for Stepping Stones ideally by August 20th 2018.
The Teacher Trainer will be based at Stepping Stones’ office at 12F, Asionics Building, No. 6, Lane 1279, Zhong Shan Road West, Shanghai, but some of the work will be carried out in the schools. Occasional working from home may be possible.
Please be aware that we are unable to offer a salary commensurate with Training Manager positions in the general ESL/EFL field; rather, as a non-profit organisation, we are looking for a candidate who is willing to compromise their potential salary level in order to help students and teachers who come from very disadvantaged backgrounds. For a full-time position, Stepping Stones will provide all statutory benefits for Chinese nationals, or medical insurance for expatriates, plus 12 days’ annual leave in the first year of employment. Alternatively, a part-time or consultancy arrangement can be considered.
Due to ongoing changes in regulations relating to non-profits as well as visas, a working visa cannot be guaranteed, so candidates already resident in China are preferred. Stepping Stones is unable to cover relocation costs.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com by July 20th 2018, with a cover letter to explain your suitability for this job position, and why you are interested in it.