Stepping Stones is a Shanghai-based volunteering organization with a mission to improve the education and general welfare of disadvantaged children in China. We train and support hundreds of volunteers to teach English, digital literacy and other subjects to thousands of disadvantaged students every week at dozens of project sites in Shanghai and rural China.
We are currently looking for a qualified, experienced and motivated curriculum developer and volunteer trainer to support our various English teaching programs. The position may be full-time or part-time, and will report to our Curriculum and Training Senior Manager. The successful candidate will be Shanghai-based.
This position provides an exciting opportunity for a qualified candidate to utilize his or her skills in the non-profit arena, develop new teaching, training and curriculum development approaches in a challenging but fulfilling context, and grow personally and professionally in a friendly and supportive work environment.
- Create and edit lesson plans and materials tailored to the different needs of Stepping Stones’ various English teaching programs, based on our curriculum;
- Develop volunteer training materials.
Training and monitoring responsibilities:
- Provide trainings, workshops and other support to volunteers teaching in Stepping Stones’ English teaching programs;
- Visit schools and community centres to support and observe volunteers, and give feedback;
- Develop and implement monitoring and evaluation tools to gather feedback from our programs to allow us to assess needs and measure impact.
Other potential responsibilities (full-time position only):
- Time allowing, this candidate could be involved in Stepping Stones’ Teacher Training Program, developing materials, supporting the trainers and potentially delivering trainings to local English teachers in Stepping Stones’ partner schools;
- Substitute for absent volunteers when necessary.
- Educated to at least bachelor-degree level, and with a minimum English Language Teaching qualification of CELTA, TEFL or TESOL, or Teaching Chinese as a Second Language equivalent;
- At least three years’ relevant experience, including teaching English or Chinese as a Second Language, English teacher training and/or curriculum design;
- Interest in and experience of using technology for language teaching and professional development purposes;
- Advanced-level oral and written English communication skills. Chinese language skills would be a distinct advantage;
- Strong management and organisational abilities: good team player with ability to mentor and motivate staff, interns, volunteers and trainees;
- Strong interest in the education sector, and preferably some experience in education and/or with disadvantaged communities and/or with volunteers in China;
- Excellent work ethic, with a positive and flexible attitude.
- To ensure the sustainability of the relevant projects, a long-term commitment is preferred;
- Part-time working hours may be possible (e.g. three days per week), in which case the main responsibility would be curriculum development;
- Note that some weekend work may be required, as some trainings will be scheduled then. We operate a flexible working schedule, where staff are encouraged to take time off to compensate for overtime worked.
As soon as possible and no later than 1st July 2021.
Stepping Stones’ office is at No 75, Leshan Road, Shanghai, but this position will involve regular travel to our schools and community centers. Occasional working from home may be possible.
Remuneration and Benefits:
Compensation will be at local market levels in the non-profit sector and take into consideration the skills and experience of the successful applicant. Stepping Stones will provide all statutory benefits, plus 10 days’ annual leave in the first year of employment (pro-rated according to the actual working hours). Candidates need to be already based in China, noting that Stepping Stones is unable to cover relocation costs or assist with accommodation.
Candidates need to be already based in China, noting that Stepping Stones is unable to cover relocation costs or assist with accommodation.
To apply for this position, please send your resume email@example.com 18th June 2021 with a cover letter to explain your suitability for this job position, and why you are interested in it. English language applications are preferred.