Stepping Stones is now recruiting enthusiastic volunteers to join its Shanghai English Teaching Program to teach English to disadvantaged children in Shanghai. English is one of the three core subjects in the Chinese curriculum and it poses the most challenges to rural and migrant children.
speak English well and confidently?
enjoy interacting with children?
want to improve the education and general welfare of disadvantaged children?
Join us and make a difference!
We warmly welcome volunteers from all backgrounds.
Key Program Information
- 10 – 30 students per class at community centers
- Fall semester: October 2020 – January 2021; training sessions in late September.
- Classes are on the weekends. Classes are once a week for a full school semester (a full school semester will be 10 – 12 weeks)
- 1 to 1.5 hours per lesson at community centers
- Teach together with a minimum of two volunteers per teaching team (alternate arrangement for main teacher and assistant teacher role)
- Minimum 18 years old
Minimum Volunteering Commitment
- Once a week for a full school term with a minimum of 8 weeks teaching
Stepping Stones will provide an online orientation and a training session that will cover information on the impact of migration on children’s education in China, lesson plans, teaching tips, and classroom management techniques. Trainings will be held in late September.