Stepping Stones (http://steppingstoneschina.net) is one of Shanghai’s biggest volunteering programs, providing English lessons to thousands of disadvantaged children in Shanghai and beyond.
We are looking for a qualified, experienced and motivated teacher trainer to work preferably for a minimum of one full year, predominantly but not exclusively on the Teacher Training and Videolink Teacher Training programs.
The successful applicant will have two main duties:
- Designing and delivering training sessions to local primary school teachers to improve their awareness of English language teaching methodologies and techniques;
- Designing and delivering online teacher-training lessons to similar English language teachers throughout China.
The Shanghai-based teacher training has been ongoing since 2016. We plan to extend the program to a number of new schools in the autumn of 2017, as well as continuing to support the three schools we are currently working with. For the new schools, a needs analysis and syllabus of content based on the trainees’ needs will be necessary prior to training; for the schools that we are currently working with, we will be selecting two or more ‘Champions’, who we will train to become the long-term trainers at their schools.
The Videolink Teacher Training program is completely new. Initial work will be centred around defining and testing the teaching approach, selecting and customizing the software, preparing teaching materials, and recruiting the trainees. After that, training will be delivered via live online group lessons supported by an online platform with discussion forums and downloadable materials.
Time allowing, the successful candidate will also be expected to help out with other programs and projects, such as Videolink (teaching English online to primary school children in rural areas), curriculum development (planning and piloting a brand-new Stepping Stones primary school syllabus), and the Classroom Teaching Program (training and monitoring volunteers teaching at migrant primary schools in Shanghai).
This position provides an exciting opportunity for a qualified candidate to utilize his or her skills in the non-profit arena, develop new teaching, training and curriculum development approaches in a challenging but fulfilling context, and grow personally and professionally in a friendly and supportive work environment.
Teacher Trainer Job Description
The Teacher Trainer position is a full-time role, reporting to the Training Director, supported by Stepping Stones’ Program Manager, Program Officer and support staff.
- Deliver teacher-training sessions to local English teachers from several primary schools for migrant children in Shanghai;
- Build on, refine and adapt the current teacher-training materials and teaching approach to each particular group of trainees;
- Help select a number of trainees to become ‘Champions’, train them on how to observe lessons, identify needs, and plan and deliver a course of training, so they can then take over as the trainers at their schools;
- Visit the trainee teachers regularly to support their ongoing development;
- Train and support a small team of volunteers to provide weekly oral English practice to the teachers in question. Develop materials to support this project;
- In conjunction with the Training Director, help define a teaching approach, select and test software, develop a set of materials including videos and PPTs, and recruit trainees for the Videolink Teacher Training Program;
- Deliver online teacher-training sessions to English teachers around China;
- Help support the online trainees with advice, feedback and encouragement via an online platform;
- Assist the Training Director and Program Director in the monitoring and evaluation of both teacher-training programs;
- Time allowing, assist with other related projects, particularly Videolink, curriculum development and the Classroom Teaching Program.
- Educated to at least bachelor-degree level, and with a minimum English Language Teaching qualification of CELTA, TEFL or TESOL;
- At least four years’ relevant experience, including English teaching, English teacher training and/or curriculum design;
- Interest in and / or experience of using technology for language-teaching and professional-development purposes;
- Strong oral and written English communication skills;
- Strong management and organisational abilities: good team player with ability to mentor and motivate staff, interns and volunteers;
- Strong interest and preferably some experience in the development sector in China, especially in the education field and /or with migrant communities and /or with volunteers; and
- Excellent work ethic with a positive and flexible attitude.
- A long-term commitment is preferred, to ensure the sustainability of the project; and
- Note that some weekend work is required, as some of the trainings will be scheduled then. We operate a flexible working schedule, where staff are encouraged to take time off to compensate for overtime worked.
Remuneration will be at local market levels in the non-profit sector and take into consideration the skills and experience of the successful applicant. Medical insurance will be provided. Stepping Stones is unable to cover relocation costs.
The candidate should be available to start working for Stepping Stones no later than 1st August 2017.
The Teacher Trainer will be based at Stepping Stones’ office at 12F, Asionics Building, No. 6, Lane 1279, Zhong Shan Road West, Shanghai, but some of the work will be carried out in the schools. Occasional working from home may also be possible.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9th June 2017 with a cover letter to explain your suitability for this job position, and why you are interested in it.