The Computer Teacher’s job is to teach computer and life skills to rural and migrant students in Stepping Stones’ partner schools and community centres located in Shanghai and Jiashan (Zhejiang province). The Computer Teacher will also assist the Stepping Up Project Leader to develop the curriculum for the project.
Stepping Up is a Digital Literacy Program established by Stepping Stones in 2016, inspired by Orphan Impact's digital literacy program in Vietnam. Stepping Up helps disadvantaged children to be better prepared for their futures after leaving school. We do this by teaching digital literacy skills common to the modern workplace. Our learning environment is designed to unleash creativity, encourage communication, develop critical thinking, and increase each student’s confidence while helping them look toward their future with excitement.
The Computer Teacher reports to the Stepping Up Project Leader.
Main Responsibilities are as follows:
- Teach 2-4 computer lessons per day 4-5 days per week to primary or middle school students;
- Work with the Project Leader to develop and plan the annual student curriculum;
- Develop lesson plans and teaching resources;
- Work with the Project Leader to recruit, train and schedule volunteers, and work with the volunteers in the classroom;
- Set up the classroom equipment before class, allowing plenty of time for proper set-up and preparation;
- Clean-up and put away the equipment after class, ensuring the safe-keeping of the classroom equipment and the security of the classroom before leaving;
- As necessary, complete routine maintenance on equipment, including cleaning, anti-virus, software updates, operating system updates, software installation, etc;
- Prepare classroom reports and make necessary adjustments in curriculum and lesson plans;
- Maintain weekly activity log with schedule, goals, results.
- Participate in Stepping Stones team activities as appropriate;
- Occasionally assist with Stepping Stones’ other projects if required, subject to availability.
- University-level education or equivalent;
- Strong ability and interest in I.T. and teaching, with related work experience an advantage;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in Chinese as well as English;
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team, multi-task, stay well-organized, learn quickly and adapt in an ever-changing sector/environment;
- Strong commitment to social work / teaching the under-privileged;
- Excellent work ethic with a positive attitude.
- This is a full time position (40 hours per week);
- We require a commitment of at least one year, with the potential to extend the term of employment upon mutual agreement.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation will be at local market levels in the non-profit sector and take into consideration the skills and experience of the successful applicant. Stepping Stones will provide all statutory benefits, plus 12 days annual leave in the first year of employment.
The candidate should ideally be available to start working for Stepping Stones in July 2017.
The Computer Teacher will be based at Stepping Stones’ office at 12F, Asionics Building, No. 6, Lane 1279, Zhong Shan Road West, Shanghai, but will travel most days to partner schools and community centers, which may be more than a one hour commute from central Shanghai. Occasional working from home may be possible.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 23 June 2017 with a cover letter to explain your suitability for this job position, and why you are interested in it.