Stepping Stones’ Videolink Program recruit, train and support volunteers to teach English through the Internet to left-behind children in rural China, providing an efficient and sustainable way of reaching more disadvantaged children in remote areas. Class sizes vary depending on the program, but are generally small (around 10-15 students). Please see below two videolink demo classes.
1. Videolink Demo Class (Fengxian, Shanghai)
2. Videolink Demo Class (Guangde, Anhui)
Why this project?
The biggest educational gap between rural and urban children in China is English education, due to an overall lack of qualified English teachers, which particularly affects rural schools. Supporting the English education of rural children is an important need, because English is one of the three core subjects in the Chinese curriculum and one of the areas on which they are tested and compared throughout their school and work life. It is an important need also because rural families do not have the resources to access additional support for their child's English education.
Since the volunteering community is concentrated in the urban areas, traditional classroom teaching is only possible in the large cities and during short trips to rural schools. While the education for migrant children has improved in the major cities, English education for the majority of rural children who remain in rural schools is still very poor.
This project uses technology to help us to scale up our current work in Shanghai and Zhejiang province to allow us to reach more disadvantaged children in more remote rural areas. The objective is to help these students gain confidence in English and pass their key examinations, to optimize their access to higher education (i.e., high school and university) and work opportunities in the future.
Volunteer requirements - Please note that recruitment for videolink volunteers is on hold now until August 2017!
- Time commitment: 2-3 hours per week (including preparation time for making PPT and lesson plans etc.) for at least one term (3-4 months). Teaching schedule is flexible based on volunteers and students availability. Volunteers living overseas can also sign up!
- Good level of English with Chinese language skills a plus.
- Interest in communicating the English language to new learners.
- Technically competent.
- Age limit: Minimum age is 16.
- All volunteers must attend the Videolink training session organised by Stepping Stones.
For more information and questions regarding this exciting program, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.