Stepping Stones' Tutoring Program is particularly suitable for high school students with good Chinese and English skills. In the program volunteers tutor local migrant students in small groups to help them with their English homework.
Why teach English?
English is one of the three core elements of the Chinese curriculum and examinations (the other two are Chinese and maths). Good grades in English play an important role in students’ access to higher education. Research has shown that migrant students struggle more in English than in other classes. In addition, their parents are unable to provide the extra support that their Shanghai peers have with English homework, which just increases the gap. Thus, support with English homework is a very practical way that volunteers can help to level the playing field for migrant students.
The tutoring program takes place in community centres or schools on a Saturday morning or afternoon. Most of the centres/ schools for migrant children that we work with are in more remote parts of Shanghai. This means the volunteering will involve travel time of between 45 and 90 minuteseach way from central Shanghai. Volunteers will have to organize their own transportation to these sites, but reimbursement (e.g. for taxi fares from the closest metro station to the centre/ school) may be possible. We will try to arrange volunteer opportunities in the logistically most suitable place for the volunteers.
Benefits to Student Volunteer groups:
Tutoring and mentoring younger students:
- Builds self-confidence
- Helps to fulfill study course objectives and gain life and work experience
- Provides a unique opportunity to learn about the community around them and to give back in a meaningful and useful way
Impact of our Tutoring Program
Please see the following reports on the impact of our Tutoring Program.
- Impact of Tutoring Programme Fall 2013
- Impact Evaluation Report on Pilot Tutoring Program 2012 Fall
Stepping Stones will:
- Identify a suitable volunteering location for you;
- Coordinate and make arrangements with the community centre where the volunteering will take place;
- Provide compulsory orientation, training and activity planning session to volunteer groups;
- Have a staff member responsible for the coordination of the project and as contact person for volunteer groups;
- Provide teaching materials and teaching resources;
- Reimburse reasonable program-related costs subject to prior agreement;
- Sign off on community service reports and issue volunteering certificates.
Volunteer groups will:
- Cooperate with Stepping Stones to ensure the successful planning and execution of the program;
- With guidance from Stepping Stones and with the help of our curriculum development materials, ensure that volunteers are prepared for the tuition classes;
- Arrange for the transportation of the volunteers to and from the activity site.
- Ensure punctual attendance each week. If classes have to be cancelled for unavoidable reasons, ensure that the relevant persons are told punctually.
Stepping Stones requests a participation fee of RMB300 per high school student participant to help cover the program running costs.
Please go here to register as a volunteer for this program. If you would like to join as a school group, or have any further questions regarding this, please do not hesitate to contact Sherry Jia (email@example.com).